Failure To Diagnose Heart Disease Or Heart Attack Is Medical Malpractice.
Are you or a loved one the victim of a failed to diagnose heart attack?
10 Frightening Facts about Heart Attacks:
- A heart attack occurs about every 20 seconds.
- Death caused by a heart attack occurs about every minute.
- Almost 14 million Americans have a history of heart attack or angina.
- One in 50 heart attack victims are mistakenly sent home by emergency room doctors.
- Women are the most common victims of failed diagnosis or misdiagnosis of heart conditions.
- More than 233,000 women die annually from heart disease.
- Women don’t experience chest pain. Instead, they frequently experience nausea and even vomiting during a heart attack, which leads emergency room doctors to incorrectly diagnose it as a gastric disorder.
- Emergency treatments are denied or delayed way too often when the heart attack victim is a woman. According to a recent study, women waited an average of 23 minutes longer than men for clot-buster treatments, which can stop a heart attack.
- Frequently, when a patient is rushed to the emergency room complaining of discomfort, doctors attribute it to indigestion, fatigue, or stress, which delays prompt medical attention.
- A misdiagnosis or failure to diagnose a heart condition puts the patient as risk for paralysis, stroke, and potentially — death.
A missed heart attack diagnosis garners the highest malpractice payout among all medical malpractice cases. In the last 10 years, the median jury verdict for heart attack malpractice lawsuits has been $941,000. In 1997, a jury awarded $9 million to the family of a victim who died because of a doctor’s failure to diagnose the heart condition.
Doctors have a professional obligation to perform routine tests to either diagnose heart disease or rule out its existence. In today’s society where profit is put ahead of patient care, doctors frequently do not take the time required to do their jobs effectively. Unfortunately, such negligence is a matter of life and death.
If you or a loved one has been the victim of medical malpractice, caused by a doctor who failed to diagnose a heart condition, contact Monheit Law so we can review your facts and let you know what your legal options are. The medical system made a mistake; let them pay for your trauma and heartache.