Are you a city or state employee who's been injured on the job? You may be unsure of what's next:

  • Do I qualify for the same benefits as private employees?
  • What if my claim for Workers' Comp gets denied?
  • Are there special forms of compensation for public workers?

We're prepared to help city and state employees be fairly compensated after a work injury.

Brian Mittman - Free Consultation

Free Consultation (877) 996-5837

Our skilled work injury lawyers have experience earning full compensation for all types of workers, both public and private.

— Brian Mittman, Esq.

In Pennsylvania, just about every worker is entitled to Workers' Compensation when a work injury prevents them from returning to their job. However, there are unique circumstances for public employees as opposed to those employed by private entities.

Litigation against a public employer may be different than taking on a private business or corporation, but the same principles apply. At Monheit Law, our aggressive work injury lawyers believe in uncovering all possible avenues for financial compensation. The other side will be doing all that they can to minimize or deny coverage altogether, so it's important that injured workers have their own experienced legal counsel to stand up for their rights.

Our attorneys have experience representing all types of public workers, including:

  • Police officers
  • Firefighters
  • Sanitation workers
  • Emergency responders
  • Corrections officers
  • Public transportation employees

Don't worry if you don't see your job listed - we have earned fair compensation for workers across all industries and occupations.

Private Vs. Public Employees

Under Pennsylvania state law, public employees qualify for the same Workers' Comp benefits as all other workers. But some public employees also may qualify for additional benefits through certain provisions specific to their fields, such as the Pennsylvania Heart and Lung Act and Act 534/632.


Blank Form (#3)

Free Consultations 24/7

(877) 996-5837

About The Pennsylvania Heart And Lung Act

The Heart and Lung Act provides several different types of injured public employees with full paid salary while they're away from work. These payments are alsopolice officers standing in row tax-free. Workers who qualify for these benefits include:

  • Law enforcement officers
  • Firefighters
  • Corrections officers
  • Psychiatric aides working for the Department of Corrections or Public Welfare
  • Park guards
  • Liquor Control Board officers and investigators
  • Probation and parole officers
  • Special agents working with the Office of the Attorney General

Workers' Comp provides compensation for lost wages, but only for about 2/3 of your total earnings. This Act helps bridge the gap so that you receive 100% of your salary, tax-free.

In order to qualify, you must have been injured while engaged in official duties. So, if you were assaulted while working as a police officer and were seriously injured, you would receive these benefits. But if you slipped on ice in the parking lot on the way to your car at the end of a shift, you may only qualify for Workers' Compensation.

This Act only provides compensation for temporary injuries. Those who are permanently disabled should look into benefits from Workers' Comp and Social Security Disability.

Benefits Under Pennsylvania Act 534/632

Pennsylvania Act 534/632 also provides 100% of the original salary for certain public employees. This law specifically applies to those who work with inmates or psychiatric patients in state facilities. Volunteer firefighters injured on duty are also covered by Act 534/632.

This act is nearly identical to the Heart and Lung Act, as you must have been injured during official duties and your injury must be temporary in order to receive these benefits.

Do Injured Public Employees Need Lawyers?

While you are free to go through the claims or appeals process on your own, an attorney with experience representing public workers will help you earn compensation quickly and without complications.

Certain public employees may hesitate to file a claim for Workers' Compensation for fear of repercussions from their employer. Police officers and firefighters may rationalize that injuries come with the dangerous territories of their chosen professions. But regardless of your working conditions, you deserve time and money to recover from a serious injury. It's better to wait until you're back feeling 100% before you return to work so that you can provide the best public service possible.

If your injury was caused by someone other than an employer or co-worker, you may have a good case for a personal injury lawsuit. For example, if you were working as an EMT and a negligent driver caused an accident with your ambulance, you could recover additional compensation for pain and suffering, loss of quality of life, and other damages.

Our veteran work injury attorneys specialize in securing maximum compensation for injured workers so that they can get back to their normal way of life as soon as possible. If you want to find out more about how to get through the Workers' Comp process quickly and painlessly, we'd love to discuss your case in a free consultation.

Relevant Info

Monheit Law Montgomery County Office 215-866-2018

Directions to our Montgomery County Injury Law Office

1368 Barrowdale Road, Jenkintown, PA 19046

4V4Q+FM Jenkintown, Pennsylvania
Open 24 hours
Public workers comp attorney Jenkintown
Civil law attorney
Employment attorney
Law firm
Social security attorney

Monheit Law South Philly Office 215-302-0095

Directions to our South Philly Injury Law Office

2332 S Broad St, #4417 Philadelphia, PA 19145

WRCH+CP Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Open 24 hours
Public workers comp injury attorney South Philly
Civil law attorney
Employment attorney
Law firm
Social security attorney