If you've been injured while working in a harbor or loading dock, you may be wondering:

  • What benefits am I entitled to?
  • Can I get compensation for medical expenses?
  • What about lost wages?
  • Do I need help from a lawyer?

We can help you claim the benefits you need while recovering from your work injury.

Michael Monheit - Free Consultation

Free Work Injury Evaluation

(877) 996-5837

Our dedicated work injury lawyers are prepared to help you recover.

— Michael Monheit, Esq.

Loading dock and harbor workers are vulnerable to many types of job-related injuries. This is physically challenging work which involves heavy lifting and the useshipping containers in port of tools and powerful machinery. Injuries will happen, and these workers shouldn't have to worry about how they will get treatment or support their families while they're forced to take some time off.

When a longshore, dock, or cargo worker gets injured during the course of their job duties, he or she is entitled to benefits under the Longshore and Harbor Workers' Compensation Act. This act applies to any worker who gets injured on the navigable waters of the US or in an adjacent area, such as a dock or harbor.

Any injury, illness, occupational disease, or related impairment (such as hearing loss) qualifies for these benefits. A worker who suffers a broken bone qualifies for the same benefits as one who slowly builds up debilitating back pain.

These workers are eligible to receive compensation for the following damages:

  • Lost wages
  • Medical expenses
  • Vocational rehabilitation services
  • Survivor benefits for fatal accidents


  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Free Consultations 24/7

(877) 996-5837

Does It Matter How The Injury Happened?

No - Workers' Compensation is a form of no-fault insurance, which means that it is irrelevant who was responsible for your work injury. Even if it was your fault, you are entitled to these benefits. And even if your employer caused your injury through their negligence, they are usually protected from a lawsuit.

However, there are situations where injured dock or cargo workers have a case for a lawsuit. Personal injury lawsuits are an option if a third party (anyone other than your employer or a co-worker) played a significant role in your injury through some form of negligence.

Unseaworthy Vesselsloading cargo container onto flatbed

One common example of a negligent third party is the owner of a vessel which has been deemed unseaworthy. A seaworthy vessel is legally required to meet the following criteria:

  • Built and outfitted for its intended use
  • Safe working environment
  • Safe for lodging
  • Has appropriate and working safety gear and equipment
  • Has a trained and competent crew

However, unseaworthy claims fall under the Jones Act, rather than worker's compensation. You must be an official crew member to qualify for a Jones Act Claim. Determining your eligibility can be a bit complicated, so it's best to ask for guidance from an experienced work injury lawyer.

Do I Need A Lawyer's Help To Claim Benefits?

Work injury cases involving sea vessels, loading docks, and cargo are fairly complex. While you're permitted to file benefits on your own, you may find the process confusing. Additionally, many injured workers get their claims denied for a variety of reasons. Hiring a work injury lawyer greatly increases your odds of receiving the full benefits you're entitled to.

At Monheit Law, we offer free consultations where we can determine the best course of action for your specific situation. And if you're worried about our fees, don't be - we only ask for payment after you've received your benefits. If we don't help you earn compensation, then you owe us nothing.

Related Info

Call Today 24/7 Support
(877) 996-5837
Call Today 24/7 Support
(877) 996-5837